Bruxism can be a hellacious disorder, as it involves the grinding and gnashing of teeth. Bruxism usually happens while people sleep, although some individuals tend to clench their teeth during the day in addition to grinding them at night. Because bruxism often occurs during sleep, knowing the signs and symptoms of the disorder and how to recognize them may alert you to the problem.
Symptoms of Bruxism
- Clenching or grinding your teeth, often loudly
- Jaw pain or tightness around your jaw
- Headache, usually upon waking
- Tooth sensitivity
- Worn, chipped, or fractured teeth
- Damage to your tongue or the inside of your cheek
- Gum inflammation
- TMJ (Temporomandibular Jaw Disorder)
Causes of Bruxism
It not clear what causes bruxism, even for doctors. Possible causes may include:
- Stress or anxiety, resulting in jaw tension
- Malocclusion, or abnormal alignment of the upper and lower teeth
- Nerve disorders like Parkinson’s disease
- Other sleep-related problems
Risk Factors for Bruxism
These factors commonly play a role in cases of bruxism:
Bruxism commonly occurs in young children and tends to go away with the onset of adolescence.
- Use of stimulants
Smoking, taking drugs, and drinking caffeinated beverages or alcohol, can increase your risk for bruxism.
- Taking certain antidepressants
Treatments for Bruxism
Treatment for bruxism is often unnecessary. Children with bruxism tend to outgrow the disorder, and most adult cases are not bad enough to require treatment. For severe cases of bruxism, there are several therapy options available:
- Stress management
- Mouth guards - These are often worn at night to relieve the pressure of incessant grinding.
- Dentally correcting misaligned teeth
- Behavior therapy - This method highlights proper mouth and jaw position in an effort to form new habits and eliminate grinding and clenching the teeth.
- Medications like muscle relaxants and sleep aids
If left untreated, severe cases of bruxism can result in loss of natural teeth, jaw-related medical disorders, and gum damage.
I really like this dental office, dentists, and staff. The hygienist was very gentle and well mannered, she gave me tips on flossing and brushing properly, I highly recommend them to friends and family..
- Bryan Nickel
I've been going here since 2010 and I love this dental office! It's very convenient to my residence and they offer an array of services! I'm currently under Invisalign treatment and they gave me a great price! I highly recommend them for any of your dental needs!
Now I Can Smile Again!
The dentist just made my front teeth/smile look like I had veneers implanted! She took away all my dark spots and heading without crowns and painful implants. It looks amazing! Thank You 🙂
The dentist was very kind + caring. Highly recommend! I only had a few days left on my dental insurance + she helped to prioritize my care + fit me in so that I could get issues taken care of in a pinch. A+ experience.
Some of the major insurances we accept are displayed to the right, however, we gladly accept ALL PPO Insurance plans and are a Delta Dental Premier provider.
We will gladly help you to understand whether your insurance has limits on the doctors you can see or the services you can receive. If you provide complete and accurate information about your insurance, we will submit claims to your insurance carrier and receive payments for services.
Depending on your insurance coverage, you may be responsible for co-payments, co-insurance, or other deductible amounts. Please contact our office or call your insurance carrier should you have any questions.
17514 Ventura Blvd, Encino, CA 91316
877-971-7177 • info [at] avitalweb [dot] com