What to Do with an Abscessed Tooth
Abscess arises as a complication of decay. Infection causes a pool of pus to form at the root of the tooth. Severe pain follows. If left unresolved, tooth abscess can cause tooth loss, blood infection or sepsis, and spread of the infection to other areas of the body.
Naturally, pain is the most common symptom of an abscessed tooth. Other symptoms include:
- Bitter taste in the mouth
- Breath odor
- General discomfort, uneasiness, or ill feeling
- Pain when chewing
- Sensitivity of the teeth to hot or cold
- Swelling of the gum over the infected tooth, swelling that may look like a pimple
- Swollen glands of the neck
If you suspect you have an abscess, you should see a dentist right away. The dentist will perform a full dental exam and consider an array of treatment options. These include:
- Antibiotics to fight the infection. Warm-water rinses may be advised, as they help with pain.
- Root canal. This treatment removes the dead or damaged pulp from inside the tooth, replaces it with a rubber-like material called gutta-percha, and restores the tooth with a cap or filling.
- Tooth removal. In cases of extreme severity, the tooth may not be salvaged.
- It is important to remember that an abscessed tooth does not have to be a dental emergency. Early detection is key. Upon experiencing any of the above symptoms, you should call our expert in treatment of tooth pain.
Some of the major insurances we accept are displayed to the right, however, we gladly accept ALL PPO Insurance plans and are a Delta Dental Premier provider.
We will gladly help you to understand whether your insurance has limits on the doctors you can see or the services you can receive. If you provide complete and accurate information about your insurance, we will submit claims to your insurance carrier and receive payments for services.
Depending on your insurance coverage, you may be responsible for co-payments, co-insurance, or other deductible amounts. Please contact our office or call your insurance carrier should you have any questions.
I've been going here since 2010 and I love this dental office! It's very convenient to my residence and they offer an array of services! I'm currently under Invisalign treatment and they gave me a great price! I highly recommend them for any of your dental needs!
I really like this dental office, dentists, and staff. The hygienist was very gentle and well mannered, she gave me tips on flossing and brushing properly, I highly recommend them to friends and family..
- Bryan Nickel
Now I Can Smile Again!
The dentist just made my front teeth/smile look like I had veneers implanted! She took away all my dark spots and heading without crowns and painful implants. It looks amazing! Thank You 🙂
The dentist was very kind + caring. Highly recommend! I only had a few days left on my dental insurance + she helped to prioritize my care + fit me in so that I could get issues taken care of in a pinch. The office manager, couldn't have been sweeter + she helped me to understand the sometimes tricky insurance pieces + actual prices I'd be paying before I made any decisions. A+ experience.
Subscribe now and get a $50 off of your next visit!
Subscribe to our newsletter
to get the latest news about our office and
stay up to date on our latest promotions
and new services.
17514 Ventura Blvd, Encino, CA 91316
877-971-7177 • info [at] avitalweb [dot] com